Thursday, March 14, 2013

It's the Argentine

The Associated Press
VATICAN CITY (AP) -- Pope Francis put his humility on display during his first day as pontiff Thursday, stopping by his hotel to pick up his luggage and pay the bill himself in a decidedly different style of papacy than his tradition-minded predecessor, who tended to stay ensconced in the frescoed halls of the Vatican.
And
The former Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio began his first day as pope making an early morning visit in a simple Vatican car to a Roman basilica dedicated to the Virgin Mary and prayed before an icon of the Madonna.

Reminds me of Pope Kiril from the film The Shoes of the Fisherman.

Tradition is important.  It brings meaning and structure to the past, our present lives, and the future.  But I think also we must remember there was time when we had no traditions, that our present traditions have accumulated over the course of two thousand years of history.  To survive, I think the Church must not be afraid as long as it remains true to Christ.

A personal note: I went to confession yesterday.  Confession is always a trial, not just because I am ashamed of my sins, but also because of my disability.  While I was waiting my turn, I wrote Francis in block letters on the palm of my hand.  And I was comforted by it.

No comments: